Original Watercolour - The Affirmation of Spring c1964 Signed by Canadian Artist Hugh Douglas Robertson OSA, RCA (1900-1996) - Double Ivory Mat in a Rustic Taupe Wood Frame - Great atmosphere created by the abundance of green - 23" W x 19" H
Hugh Douglas Robertson Biography (1900 - 1996)
A native of Hamilton, Ontario, Hugh Douglas Robertson was active in Hamilton, Ont. as an architect and artist. At the young age of twenty-one, he was invited to form a partnership with Lester B. Husband in 1921, and collaborated with him until 1925, and he later re-joined Husband in a new partnership of Husband, Robertson & Wallace from 1946 to 1953.
He attended the School of Architecture at McGill University in Montreal and graduated in 1925. He took drawing lessons from John S. Gordon at technical school before completing a degree in Architecture at McGill University in 1925. He then worked as a draftsman and architectural designer in Miami, Fla. (1925-26), in Montreal (1926), and in New York City (1926-28) before returning to Hamilton to pursue his career. While practicing as an architect, he embarked on a sketching tour of Europe. Robertson subsequently held one-man shows from 1932 to 1943 in Toronto, Hamilton, London, Montreal and Ottawa. He exhibited at the C.N.E., R.C.A., and O.S.A., and won the gold medal of the Hamilton Art Association in 1937.
Robertson was elected as an Associate member of the Royal Institute of British Architects in London in 1928, and was also active as an artist and an Associate member of the Royal Canadian Academy, where he regularly exhibited his paintings from 1931 to 1943. Robertson was a talented painter of landscapes across Canada and abroad, street scenes, portraits and still lifes, among other subjects, in oil and watercolours. His expertise and eye for architecture is apparent in his compositions depicting houses and historic buildings. Fellow artist Frank Panabaker befriended Robertson in the 1930s, remarking: “We quickly became sketching companions and have continued to be all through the years. [He] also quickly became my most helpful and knowledgeable critic.”
During WWII, in 1943, he was employed as an Assistant Architect in the Naval Services Branch in Ottawa, and while there, he exhibited some of his of his award-winning watercolour drawings at a commercial gallery on Sparks Street (Ottawa Journal, 5 May 1943, 25). Robertson also participated in the Spring Exhibitions at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts from 1933 to 1943. He resigned from the Ontario Association of Architects in December 1970.
|Mar 18, 2020||$492.15|
|Apr 17, 2020||$434.25|
|May 17, 2020||$376.35|
$ 579.00 (sold)
Qty Available: 0
Add to Wishlist